I almost hate to call this tomato soup. It's SO much better than the stuff you get in the can!! My husband, who is not a tomato soup fan, will even eat this with a grilled cheese sandwich. My kids request it. It's sort of a cross between french onion and tomato soup, with all the best parts!
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (46 ounce) bottle V8 juice (I use low sodium)
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 6 slices French bread, toasted
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onions and garlic in olive oil until tender. Add the tomato juice, bouillon, lemon juice, parsley and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Ladle soup into 10-oz. ovenproof soup bowls or ramekins. Top with French bread; sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.