This year, I'm making a slightly different cranberry sauce for the holidays. Yummy!
- 12 oz. fresh cranberries
- 1 TBS finely grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 c apple cider
- 1/3 c packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 firm apple (I use McIntosh, but Roma would work well too), peeled, cored, and finely diced
- Put all ingredients in a medium size heavy saucepan over medium heat; cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, until cranberries soften and pop and sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Let cool, then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. The sauce will thicken more as it chills.