- 2 tsp cornmeal
- 1 c cornmeal
- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1 TBS minced fresh sage or 1 tsp rubbed sage
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 c buttermilk
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1 c (4 oz.) shredded provolone cheese
- Sprinkle 2 tsp cornmeal on the bottom and sides of a greased 8x4x2 loaf pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sage, baking powder, salt, pepper, baking soda, cayenne and remaining cornmeal. In another bowl, beat the eggs, buttermilk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in cheese.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.