These are a childhood favorite that my grandmother used to make me. I recently found the recipe, written in the back of one of her cookbooks that I inherited when she passed away. This is one of the best surprises I could have found...after I made it, I found I did need a 9x13 pan (not specified originally) and it need to cook for about 20-25 minutes in my over, so I updated that today.
- 1 stick of margarine or butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 TSP vanilla extract (or orange extract)
- 3/4 TSP all spice
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 TSP baking soda
- 1/8 TSP salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Cream the margarine and sugar together. Add the egg, vanilla, and all spice. Mix after each addition.
- Add flour and mix well. Add oatmeal then nuts and chocolate chips.
- Pour into 9x13 pan (sprayed with cooking spray first).
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Check to see if it's done.
- Let cool. Cut into bars.