V8 makes a wonderful butternut squash soup. Not only is it two servings of vegetables per serving, it's super tasty. I love this soup, but the cost per person is a little high. I decided to re-create this recipe. Once again, it's kid tested and approved too!
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 butternut squash, cut in half
- (2) 14 ounce cans of vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- kosher salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in butter until tender. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine olive oil, minced garlic,and kosher salt to taste. Brush the tops of the butternut squash with olive oil mixture. Bake on a cookie sheet for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Scoop baked squash from skins and add to sauce pan with onions. Add the vegetable broth, marjoram, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Bring to rolling boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Puree squash in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth. Serve immediately. Add salt and pepper to taste. This also freezes well for single serve portions.