Perfect for hot summer days, this is a light and tasty dish! If you have tomatoes fresh from your garden, this is a great way to use some up. Fresh basil is very important for this dish, so don't cut corners with dried.
- 4 c. (3/4 inch) cubed whole wheat French bread baguette
- 5 c. ripe tomato wedges (about 4 large)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 c small basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 375
- Place bread cubes on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until crisp and golden brown, turning cubes once.
- Combine tomatoes and 1/4 tsp salt in a large bowl. Sprinkle shrimp with remaining black pepper and salt. Heat olive oil, red pepper, and garlic in a large non-stick pan over low heat; cook 5 minutes or until warm and fragrant.
- Increase heat to medium high. Add shrimp to pan; saute 2 minutes or until shirmp are done, stirring frequently. Stir in lemon juice.
- Add bread, shrimp mixture, and basil to tomatoes; toss gently to coat. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.