I serve this along side our street tacos and they're amazing!
- 2 bags dried pinto beans, cleaned and soaked overnight (don't miss this step or you'll need to use canned pinto beans and it's just not the same!)
- 1 10oz. can Rotel (I've had bad luck with store brand no this - get the original!)
- 1 c. salt pork (a chunk about the size of your hand - I get this at my local market)
- 1 c. vegetable broth
- 1/2 c. finely chopped cilantro
- 1/3 c. finely chopped red onion
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ground pepper to taste
- dash of hot sauce
- As noted, make sure you soaked your beans overnight first!
- In a large pot (or crock pot if you want to make these up ahead) add all your ingredients Do not drain your can of Rotel. Bring to a rolling boil, then simmer on low for 1-1 1/2 hours.
In addition to the salt pork, you can also add bacon or sausage.