Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Spaghetti with Tomato Meat Sauce

Ah, the first of the year. Like many of you, my resolutions this year include loosing some weight (ok, it's actually my ONLY resolution, but that's a mute point) I have gone back on weight watchers, and joined a gym

So for now, my recipes will be HEALTHY recipes. Now now, no groans. You know you all made the same resolution on weight loss. At least I can share recipes that taste good while your loosing weight (with myself and family as the test subjects!).

2 tsp olive oil
1 large onino, finely chopped
2 medium carrots, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb. uncooked lean ground beef (preferably 7% fat)
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, crushed
1/2 tsp dried basil
3 cups cooked whole-wheat spaghetti

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet (I actually use an electric skillet) over medium high heat. Add onion and carrot. Cook, stirring constantly. When onions are becoming translucent, add garlic. Cook for another minute or two.
2. Add ground beef to skillet. Cook until meet is well crumbled (use a spatula to help break up clumps).
3. Stir in tomatoes, salt and pepper, red pepper flakes and basil. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, simmering sauce for 5 minutes. Sauce should slightly thicken after simmering.
4. Spoon sauce over cooked, hot pasta

***For my family of six voracious eaters, I increase the ground beef to 1.5 lbs and two cans of crushed tomatoes. Adjust seasoning to taste!

No comments: