- 1 large onion, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 1/4 c flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 c milk
- 3/4 c dry bread crumbs
- seasoned salt to taste
- 1 qt. vegetable or canola oil
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer to 365 degrees
- Separate the oil into rings and set aside. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Dip the onion into the flour mixture until the are all coated; set aside. Whisk the egg and milk into the flour mixture using a fork. Dip the floured rings into the batter to coat, then place on a wire rack to drain until the batter stops dripping. The wire rack may be placed over a cookie sheet covered with aluminum foil for easier clean up. Spread the bread crumbs out on a plate or shallow pan. Place the rings, one at a time, into the crumbs, and scoop the crumbs up over the ring to coat. The coating should cling. Coat all rings.
- Deep fry the rings a few at a time for 2-3 minutes, or until golden. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with seasoning salt and serve.