Monday, August 09, 2010

Grilled Shrimp Scampi

A few weeks ago, my family and I went out to my new favorite seafood restaurant, Pappadeaux's.  While my family dined on an amazing meal, the bill at the end was amazing too (lucky for us, I had a $50 gift card which covered about half the meal).  But I was reminded about how much my family enjoys seafood.  While seafood is a little pricier than chicken, making it at home saves a substantial amount!  I picked up a $5 bag of frozen shrimp at Walmart for this meal.  In the future, I'll spend the money on the larger bag as we all would have enjoyed a little more shrimp, but this was a meal the whole family loved!


Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • ground black pepper to taste
  • crushed red pepper flakes to taste (optional)
  • 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined

Directions

  1. In a large, non-reactive bowl, stir together the olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, and black pepper. Season with crushed red pepper, if desired. Add shrimp, and toss to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
  2. Preheat grill for high heat. Thread shrimp onto skewers, piercing once near the tail and once near the head. Discard any remaining marinade.
  3. Lightly oil grill grate. Grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until opaque.
I used fettuccine noodles for this.  I doubled the sauce except for the garlic and reserved half of it. I then used the leftover marinade and sauteed the garlic, then added just that to the reserve mix.  I then tossed it with the pasta and shrimp, served a fresh green salad and some garlic bread on the side.  This meal with the one bag of shrimp cost me about $9 to make.  For a family of 6!  Even adding an additional bag of shrimp, $11 for a seafood dinner is a great bargain.

No comments: