Saturday, August 27, 2011

Happy Birthday Cake

My friend Tenecia at work (hi Tenecia!!) found some frosting recipes she liked, but noted that there was not a single 'cake' recipe.  As some of my bloggers are aware, my husband hates traditional cake.  But I do cake too!!

OK, so clearly this cake can be used for any occasion.  But we just happen to have a LOT of birthdays in my house, and somewhere along the way, this is what my family started asking for.  When my brother was little, it was the only cake he would eat (he's 28 now!).  So I've been making this for a long time!!

Ingredients

  • 1 c. butter, softened
  • 2 c. sugar
  • 1 tsp almond extract**
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 3 tsp baking soda
  • 3 c. cake flour**
  • 4 egg whites, beaten stiff with a dash of salt
Directions
  1. Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth and fluffy, adding extract as you go. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition.  Add the milk and stir until smooth. Set aside.
  2. Measure the baking powder into the flour.  Add to butter, sugar and milk mixture and stir until smooth (if you are using an electric mixer, you should have a few air bubbles).  Fold in the egg whites.  Don't beat the batter after the whites have been folded in.
  3. For a traditional birthday cake, bake in three 8 or 9 inch layer cake pans.  For a sheet cake, us a 9 x 13 inch pan.  
  4. Grease and flour the pan and pour the cake batter in.
  5. Bake 30 to 35 minutes at 350 (325 if your oven runs hot - like mine!).  Test by sticking a knife of toothpick into the middle of the cake.  If it comes out clean, the cake is done.
**almond extract was the preference in my house growing up, so I still make it this way today.  You can use vanilla if you prefer.  I like cake flour because it's lighter and silkier.  If you have regular flour, that will work too, just remember to NOT over beat your mixture or you will end up with a heavy brick for a cake.  Of course if that's what you like....

No comments: