Monday, December 11, 2006

Amazing Egg Nog

For everyone who attended my Christmas Party & Ornament Exchange this year, I wanted to say "thank you"!! It was such a lovely turn out, and the food everyone brought was delicious.

Everyone at the party was amazed at this wonderful tasting eggnog. I have to admit, I have never had eggnog before (it's made from eggs, and you drink it....and that's supposed to be good?!) so I made this for my guests. Well, my DH talked me into a sip, as he said it was the best he'd ever had too (that is HIGH praise indeed) and I must admit, it was good! I can't speak for other eggnog's, lol, but this is delicious (with out without the brandy/rum).

INGREDIENTS
4 cups milk
5 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
12 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups light rum or brandy, your preference
4 cups light cream (not whipping cream, just the regular cream)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

DIRECTIONS
Combine milk, cloves, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and cinnamon in a saucepan, and heat over lowest setting for 5 minutes. Slowly bring milk mixture to a boil.

In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk together until fluffy. Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs. Pour mixture into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until thick. Do not allow mixture to boil. Strain to remove cloves, and let cool for about an hour.

Stir in rum, cream, 2 teaspoon vanilla, and nutmeg. Refrigerate overnight before serving.

No comments: