Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Swedish Sugar Cookies

This is a recipe that has been in my family a long time. It is my favorite sugar cookie recipe, although it is not a cookie cutter recipe (which I adore - you should see my collection!!). This is a prepare ahead recipe, as the dough does need to be chilled. I promise, it's worth it! I often sprinkle colored sugar on these before I bake them for a splash of color (particularly at Christmas time!!)

Ingredients:
  • 1 c powdered sugar
  • 1 c granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 c butter, softened
  • 1 c canola oil
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 4 1/2 c flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1 tsp salt

Directions:

  1. Mix sugars with eggs, butter, vanilla and oil. Set aside
  2. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Blend well, and gradually mix into sugar mix. Mix well.
  3. Refrigerate dough until firm.
  4. Form by the TBS into balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
  5. Flatten with a glass that has been buttered and dipped in granulated sugar.
  6. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Cool on a rack.
  7. DO NOT OVER BAKE - cookies should look almost done when you take them out of the oven.

No comments: