- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon whiskey
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heavy cream, for serving
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the whiskey, sugar, chocolate and water. Stir over low heat until the chocolate is just melted and the mixture is smooth. Sift the flour and cocoa powder together and gradually beat into the chocolate mixture. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Pour the mixture into a greased and line and bake for 40-45 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Leave the cake in the pan for 15 minutes before turning out to cool.
- Serve warm or cold with cream and decorated with a sprig of mint, if desired