Texans apparently like to put their own stamp on everything they do, including chili. Here's an easy meal that simmers well in the slow cooker all day and is great for chilly evenings!
- 2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large bell pepper, minced
- 3 (15 oz) cans pinto beans
- 2 (28 oz) cans Rotel tomatoes
- 4 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1 TBS jalapeno peppers, minced (optional)
- 1/4 c chili powder
- 1tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1TBS cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic pepper
- Cook and stir the beef, onion, and bell pepper in a large pot over medium heat until the beef is brown and onion and pepper are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain grease from beef. Place in slow cooker.
- Add to the slower cooker the beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, jalapenos (if using), chili powder, red pepper flakes, black pepper, salt, and garlic powder. Set slow cooker on low and simmer for 6-8 hours. The longer you simmer, the more flavor you will get. Sometimes I simmer up to 10 hours!